Group Alerts for Application Pool (and Werbsite) Errors
Alex
2009-02-04 14:52:02 UTC

my customer wants me to do the following:

If one or more application pools (same for websites) fail he want to get one
alert instead of one for each pool. He has in mind that if eg the world wide
web puplishing service fails he would get tons of alerts. But he doesn't
won't to disable alerting on application pools because then he would not
recognize if only a single application pool fails.

I thought of an aggregate roll-up monitor but i can't figure out the right
target. If I target IIS Application Pool or IIS 2003 Application Pool then it
gets grouped in on the same level as the check itself. The next higher target
is entity which would not be a good idea.

Best regards
Alex
Boris Yanushpolsky [MSFT]
2009-02-07 03:42:56 UTC
One way to do this in you don’t have a large number of application pools is
create a new monitoring against the Web Server object that uses a script to
check all application pools and generates an alert with the name of all
stopped application pools.
--
Boris Yanushpolsky
Program Manager
Hi,
Alex
Alex
2009-02-11 12:47:00 UTC
Thanks for your reply.
Is there no way to do this with Monitors? It was not the first time i was
asked to do some grouping or add additional dependencys (i.e application
pools depend on iis-service).
Application Pools would be 40-50 I think. Can you put me to the right
direction how i can check their status from a script.

Thanks Alex
Post by Boris Yanushpolsky [MSFT]
One way to do this in you don’t have a large number of application pools is
create a new monitoring against the Web Server object that uses a script to
check all application pools and generates an alert with the name of all
stopped application pools.
--
Boris Yanushpolsky
Program Manager
Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/boris_yanushpolsky/
Hi,
Alex
Alex
2009-02-12 10:44:01 UTC

MS gold support provided me with an solution:

Here is the main steps:
======

1. right click monitors node, click create a monitor -> Dependency rollup
monitor.
2. name it, select this target: IIS 2003 web server, click next.
3. Expand "IIS 2003 application pool" -> Entity health -> Availability ->
"A windows Internet information service application pool is unavailable",
click Next.
4. please follow the wizard to finish it.

Regards
Alex
Post by Alex
Thanks for your reply.
Is there no way to do this with Monitors? It was not the first time i was
asked to do some grouping or add additional dependencys (i.e application
pools depend on iis-service).
Application Pools would be 40-50 I think. Can you put me to the right
direction how i can check their status from a script.
Thanks Alex
Post by Boris Yanushpolsky [MSFT]
One way to do this in you don’t have a large number of application pools is
create a new monitoring against the Web Server object that uses a script to
check all application pools and generates an alert with the name of all
stopped application pools.
--
Boris Yanushpolsky
Program Manager