Monitoring Applications pool in IIS
נחום אליאש
2009-01-26 13:30:01 UTC
hi there experts,

I wonder how can i monitor the web application i have on my IIS server.?

for example, if one of the application stop reposinding, and generate a
specific evenr error, i want the IIS server to stop and start the specific
application pool, and not to reset all the IIS server from the CMD command.

how can i make this happend.

p.s.
I know that i can generate a respone whenever i have a specific error
message in my IIS server, but this time the issue is resetting the
application pool alone.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Best regards,
Nahum
Israel.
--
בברכה,
נחום אליאש

באם התשובה שלי עזרה לך, לחץ על "כן".
Anders Bengtsson [MVP]
2009-01-26 22:34:29 UTC
Hello נחום,

Do you know a way to restart the specific application pool from outside of
Ops MGr?
Then you should be enable to add that command as a recovery to the monitor
generating the alert saying the application stop.

Anders Bengtsson
Microsoft MVP - System Center Operations Manager
www.contoso.se
נחום אליאש
2009-01-27 15:04:01 UTC
Hi andreas,

Unforunatlly, i don't have a way to reset the application pool.
btw, what did you mean by asaying "out side the opsmgr"?

I talked to a freind of mine. he told me that it may be possible but i'll
need to use WMI script that always monitors the web appliacation.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Nahum
Israel
Anders Bengtsson [MVP]
2009-01-27 23:33:05 UTC
Hello נחום,

With outside I mean somewhere outside of Ops Mgr. Like a command or script.
If you find a way, with a script for example, then you can let ops mgr to
run it.

Nahum Eliash
2009-01-30 22:56:01 UTC
Hi Andreas,

If i knew where to find, or how to write this kind of script i wouldn't be
here... :)

It's not so urgnet' so i guess that for now, i'll keep my ops dealing with
urgent things i need to take care of and study.

Have a nice day.
Anders Bengtsson [MVP]
2009-01-31 19:12:48 UTC
Hello Nahum,

What I mean is that Ops Mgr can do it if you can do it manually. But Ops
Mgr dont provide any new secrets way to do tasks. When you have a script,
then you can implement it into ops mgr as a recovery task.

Asad Iqbal
Asad Iqbal
2009-04-24 17:04:10 UTC
Not sure, if you have got any answer.

In vbs, this is the statement which i use for resetting an AppPool:

~~~~
WshShell.Run("iisapp.vbs /a " & appPoolName & " /r", 1, true)
~~~~

If you have Admin Scripts installed for IIS, you can also use:

Cscript.exe adsutil.vbs START_SERVER W3SVC/[ your app pool id here]

by default, adsutil.vbs is in C:\inetpub\Adminscripts

Thanks
Asad Iqbal