Unable to monitor two Windows 2000 IIS Servers
Megan Kielman
2009-03-03 23:33:14 UTC
For some reason Operations Manager 2007 is not discovering IIS running
on two Windows 2000 servers in my environment. I have
uninstalled/reinstalled the agent AND upgraded to the latest IIS
Management Pack 6.0.6539.0.

There are no events in the Operations Manager log on either the IIS
servers or the RMS that are helpful.

Thanks!
Anders Bengtsson [MVP]
2009-03-05 06:35:20 UTC
Hello Megan,

Do you have a management pack for the OS in place? Does it work for any of
your 2000 IIS machines?

Anders Bengtsson
Microsoft MVP - System Center Operations Manager
www.contoso.se
Thanks!
Megan Kielman
2009-03-05 14:28:08 UTC
Yes I do have up to date OS Management Packs and it is working for the
servers in question. On both systems, I uninstalled/reinstalled the
Operations Manager agent and then restarted the IIS service and on one of
them systems IIS was discovered. Is there a way to force an IIS discovery on
a system?
Thanks!
Nathan Downey [MSFT]
2009-03-05 19:43:08 UTC
Did the management pack get downloaded to the agent?
You can open the "Health Service State\ManagementPacks" folder under the
agent install directory, and look for the IIS 2000 MP.

For IIS to discover the machine as a IIS Server on 2000, it looks at the
following registry keys:

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\IISAdmin\Start .... this should equal 2
(the IISAdmin service startup type automatic)

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentVersion (This needs to
be 5.0)

Are you seeing the IIS 2000 Server Role being discovered?

-Nathan Downey [MSFT]
Thanks!
Megan Kielman
2009-03-05 23:30:01 UTC
Nathan -

Thank you so much! I just discovered that the IIS service was set to Manual!
I have changed the startup type and restarted the agent.

Where can I find the information you provided below? It would be very use to
know this type of stuff in the future.

Thanks!
Thanks!
Nathan Downey [MSFT]
2009-03-19 18:41:54 UTC
The first place to start when debugging all MP issues should be the MP guide
that is shipped with the management pack.

As a general rule we try not to monitor services that have a startup type
that isn't automatic. I do not believe this "general rule" is documented
anywhere.

-Nathan Downey [MSFT]