Override web site discovery
jbiz
2008-10-17 19:14:07 UTC
Our SMEs have the default web sites stopped in IIS 5 and 6. In the IIS
management pack in OpsMgr this throws alerts. They are permanently stopped.
We can stop the monitors, but what if we want OpsMgr to not even discover
them in the first place? I've created a group that finds these particular
default web sites (based on their server bindings as not all default web
sites will be stopped permanently) so which disoveries should this be turned
off for? If i look in the authoring pane under object discoveries for the IIS
management pack, there are quite a few web site discoveries. 51-75, 0-25,
etc... which ones do what?
Pete Zerger (MVP)
2008-10-17 22:56:43 UTC
Hello jbiz,

If they have already been discovered, you can "undiscover" them, so to speak.
See the following post for details:

Regards,

Pete Zerger, MCSE(Messaging) | MCTS(SQL 2005) | MCTS(Opsmgr) | MVP - Opsmgr
URL:http://www.systemcenterforum.org
User Group: http://www.systemcenterusergroup.com
MP Catalog: http://www.systemcenterforum.org/mps
Tools: http://www.systemcenterforum.org/tools/
what?
Pete Zerger (MVP)
2008-10-17 22:57:24 UTC
Hello jbiz,

If the web sites have already been discovered, you can "undiscover" them,
so to speak. See the following post for details:
http://www.systemcenterforum.org/powershell-tip-removing-discovery-data-in-operations-manager-2007-sp1/

what?
jbiz
2008-10-20 15:07:01 UTC
Pete,

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of that powershell command and it's use.
However, I have not even disabled the discovery of the web sites because it
isn't very clear which discovery rules discover the web sites in the first
place. I am not sure which discovery rules to turn off for the group I have
created...
what?
MigrateMe
what?
Roger
2009-01-23 20:06:10 UTC
I am also interested in information to this end. It seems that IIS could be
installed on many servers where one or more of the services might be disabled
or stopped on purpose. Is there a state the service can be in so that OpsMgr
would ignore it ? It seems reasonable that you would need to create overrides
for unused but active services or web sites like the default but it also
seems reasonable that you could configure IIS such that OpsMgr would be able
to recognize that is active/inactive by design.
Thanks